Start date: 24 March 2021
Duration: Half Day (9:30am to 1.00pm) + 30min one-to-one tutorial
Location: Online via Zoom
Course code: 17749
*****Fully Booked, Register your Interest for future courses below*****
This course is suitable for all businesses importing or exporting products to or from any third country with specific focus on countries where trade agreements are in place with the EU. Specific focus will be on the EU-UK Trade Agreement.
The current EU-UK Trade Cooperation Agreement has highlighted the complexity for Irish importers and exporters when trading with a third country. A tariff-free, quota-free trade agreement cannot operate without complex product Rules of Origin requirements. This course aims to teach business to manage these rules within their own organisation, and how to remain compliant with customs and tax authorities when claiming preferential origin on their product. Understanding customs Rules of Origin can reduce your exposure to expensive customs duties and create new investment opportunities to expand your existing manufacturing, sourcing or distribution operations.
The 30-minute one-to-one tutorial follow up for each business facilitates the practical application of material thought on the course to the needs of the individual business.
The subsidised cost of the course is €295.
The course will be delivered by Brian Murphy of Global Trade Ltd.
This course is suitable for management teams from supply chain, customs and logistics, as well as manufacturers and distributors of products who want to reduce customs duties exposure and ensure compliance with relevant customs laws.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding why the origin of goods is important to customs
- Distinguish between preferential origin and non-preferential origin
- Explain the concept of binding origin information & origin labelling
- Determine what proof of origin is needed for customs authorities and where to obtain these
- Demonstrate an awareness of preferential trade arrangements and how they work; including how product origin can affect your sourcing and manufacturing operations/locations and how to turn these rules into a competitive advantage
- Demonstrate an understanding of what a business must know to remain compliant
The course content will deliver a solid understanding of the concept of product origin in global trade. It will also look at very specific rules and processes that allow importers and exporters to navigate this sometimes-complex topic, in an organised and compliant manner.
The course outline is as follows:
- The origin concept in global trade
- Importance of origin in global Free Trade Agreements – Specific focus on EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement
- Non-Preferential and Preferential Rules of Origin & how to determine the origin of your product for customs purposes
- Types of preferential arrangements – calculating origin based on cumulation & tolerance rules
- Origin information to include on your customs declarations
- Binding Origin Information (BOI) – how to get legal certainty of your origin calculations
- Proof of Origin for customs authorities and compliance with EU customs law
There will be a 30-minute one-to-one tutorial follow up consultation arranged with each participant on the course.
A computer with internet access sufficient for live streaming is required.